IN-PERSON TRAINING LED BY NEIL KENDRICK
NAIROBI, KENYA: 10 - 14 APRIL 2023
MAXIMUM 16 PARTICIPANTS
This practical course covers three main themes:
- Professional Writing Skills
- Reporting Skills / Report Writing
- Proposal Writing
This course will teach you to create reports that lead to action and support good project decision-making. You will learn a process for reporting that will reduce wasted time and deadline stress and lead to writing that has a more significant impact.
Over five days, you will learn how to:
- Set reporting objectives and select the most appropriate data collection methods
- Analyse data and draw conclusions / identify lessons learned
- Plan your writing around the report’s objectives and your reader’s needs
- Organise your ideas in a logical, persuasive way
- Communicate clearly and in a way that keeps your readers interested and alert
Through the Proposal Writing modules, you will learn how to plan, draft and edit a persuasive proposal that:
- Identifies and describes the problem to be solved – one that aligns with your donor’s area of interest
- Sets out a straight-forward solution
- Convinces donors you can deliver
As a result, your proposals will be well-organised, clear and persuasive - contributing to better relations with donors and increased donor support.
Over five practical days, the course addresses the challenges faced by development professionals in reporting, professional writing and proposal writing in a way that allows for maximum practical work. Areas covered include:
- Principles of Professional Writing
- The Writing Process
- How to Write Clearly
- Professional Writing: Organising Ideas
- Professional Writing: Paragraphs that Persuade
- The Reporting Process
- Setting Evaluation Objectives
- Deconstructing Field Reports
- Deconstructing Evaluations
- Selecting Data Gathering Methods
- Making Sense of Data
- Planning the Report
- Drafting and Editing the Report
- Why Proposals Fail
- What Donors Look for in a Proposal
- Identifying Projects
- Project Planning / Logical Framework Approach
- Planning the Proposal
- Drafting and Editing the Proposal
- Review / Q&A, Certification & Closing
FEES, LOGISTICS AND REGISTRATION
HOW TO ENROL
You can sign up directly via the ‘Join Course’ link on this page using credit card.
To pay by bank transfer, please mail us at [email protected]
- Five days of in-person training with ELD Director Mr Neil Kendrick at the Fairview Hotel, Nairobi
- All training materials (hard and soft copy)
- Refreshments and lunch each day
Also included, so you can continue to develop your skills:
- Lifetime access to a library of training videos of all the key sessions (plus several extra sessions) from our online course From Planning to Performance (the regular fee for this course is 320 USD)
- Two self-study PDF toolkits – Reporting Skills & Professional Writing and Project Planning & Proposal Writing
Fees do not cover breakfast, evening meals, visas, travel, accommodation, transportation or other daily expenses.
All fees are payable in advance on a first-come basis. We will accept a maximum of 16 participants for this course.
StartMEASURING CLARITY: THE FOG INDEX (20:51)
StartTOOLS AND EXERCISES FOR IMPROVING CLARITY PART 1 (8:01)
StartTOOLS AND EXERCISES FOR IMPROVING CLARITY PART 2 (9:13)
StartTOOLS AND EXERCISES FOR IMPROVING CLARITY PART 3 (9:38)
StartWHAT WE'VE LEARNED SO FAR (1:33)
StartSOLUTIONS TO TASKS & EXERCISES
Neil Kendrick is from the UK and has been training development practitioners for more than 25 years on Professional Writing, Reporting Skills, Proposal Writing, Project Cycle Management, Results-Based Management and Monitoring & Evaluation. He has trained relief, development and humanitarian professionals in over 20 countries throughout Asia, Africa, Europe and the Americas.
"Neil opened my eyes to critical issues of linking activities to results and impacts, and his ability to deconstruct and demystify M&E made the training a life-changing experience."
Dr Steve Ogidan
National Coordinating Consultant
NIGERIA INCENTIVE-BASED RISK-SHARING SCHEME FOR AGRICULTURAL LENDING
"Neil is a wonderful trainer who lets the participants have in-depth knowledge."
Monitoring & Evaluation Associate
WORLD WILDLIFE FUND FOR NATURE (WWF NEPAL)
"You have no idea what an impact your training is making in my life."
CARIBBEAN COURT OF JUSTICE