FREE MINI-COURSE: STAKEHOLDER MANAGEMENT & ENGAGEMENT
STAKEHOLDER MANAGEMENT & ENGAGEMENT
Knowing how to manage stakeholders is key to successful development projects and an essential step of the Results-Based Management approach. It's a vital step, too, towards creating a Logical Framework. Knowing who our stakeholders are and anticipating their needs helps projects get better results.
People can just as easily grease a project's wheels as stop it in its tracks.
Stakeholder Analysis is about identifying all persons, groups and institutions who may have an interest in a project and taking steps to manage their interests and expectations so that the project runs as smoothly as possible - often done using a Stakeholder Matrix.
Stakeholder Analysis is the technique used to identify the key people we have to win over to achieve development results.
The benefits of using a stakeholder-based approach are that:
- You can use the opinions of the most influential and powerful stakeholders to shape your projects early in the RBM process. Their support matters and their inputs can help.
- Support from influential stakeholders helps your project to be more successful.
By communicating with stakeholders early and frequently, you can ensure that they fully understand what you are doing and understand the benefits of your project. As a result, they can support you actively when needed.
You can anticipate people's reactions to your project and build the actions that will win people's support into your plan.
In the five videos, I will walk you through the steps of:
- Identifying and understanding your stakeholders
- Identifying win-win outcomes
- Developing a stakeholder communication plan
We wrap up by exploring the topic of Stakeholder Engagement. It is rarely covered, but essential to understand if we aim to use our resources efficiently and effectively.